Saturday, January 10, 2009

January 9th, The Forgotten Highway






We were told the Forgotten HWY was a beautiful drive through the NZ country side, and though it was breathtakingly beautiful, there were a "few hundred" twists and turns that our tummies wish we could forget. I know why they call it the Forgotten Highway, because everybody shouts "forget that" when they are finished. We visited the only Glockenspiel in NZ, in a small town called Stratford, and we were just in time to enjoy the 10am show. There are photos of our picnic (on another sheep farm), and an absolutely gorgeous Lavender Farm that we stumbled across on the route. Our drive took us through the Tangaraku Scenic Reserve and further on to the Tongariro National Park. Tongariro is where they filmed Mordor and "Mt Doom" in the Lord of The Rings. We hope to climb Mt. Doom, weather permitting, and volcanic activity permitting. Cheers.

1 comment:

Steve R said...

Why am I not surprised that you guys stumbled on a lavender farm during your adventure. It looks beautiful. All the countryside is so varied --- cliffs, blue green ocean, snow covered mountains, rolling hills, big cities, little towns and even a GLOCKRNSPEIL! I click on all the pictures to enlarge thm so I can see all the detail.

BTW I haven't had a chance to check out the blog since last Thursday. Had my second round of dental implant surgery. This one was kind of a biggy, with the bone graft into my sinus cavity...yatta yatta.

I've been close friends with my vicodin and ibuprofin all weekend but plan to get back to work tomorrow bright and early.